Roasted fennel seeds are used as a mouth freshener back in India. That was the only use of fennel that I was aware of. Sometime in 2014 I googled for and made a sweet chutney recipe (to use with Indian chaats). The recipe made use of roasted and ground fennel seeds. Yum! I think I pretty much lapped it all up once I made it, because it was THAT tasty. Since I had recently bought rhubarb to make this cake, I still had some stalks lying in the refrigerator. And while I was making my butternut squash patties, it struck me that I could make a tangy chutney to go with the patties. And ta-da!! I ended up making this tangy, sweet and spicy chutney. This chutney can be paired with rotis, as a spread on sandwich bread and also with patties/cutlets.
Rhubarb Chutney With Fennel Seeds
Rhubarb – 3/4 cup, chopped
Jaggery powder – 2 tablespoon
Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon (Optional)
Curry leaves – 5 to 6 nos. (Optional)
Canola Oil – 2 teaspoon
Water – 2 tablespoon
Salt – To taste
- Dry roast the fennel seeds in a pan on medium heat. Once cooled, transfer to a mortar and pestle and make a coarse powder.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat and add in the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the curry leaves to it.
- Next, add in the rhubarb pieces, chilli powder, jaggery powder, fennel powder and salt; give it a good stir. Add water to the mixture.
- Cover the pan and let it cook on medium – low heat for 10 – 15 minutes, making sure to stir once in a while.
Nutrition Per Serving (1/2 cup)*: Calories – 163; Fat – 12 grams; Protein – 3 grams; Carbs – 14 grams; Fiber – 8 grams
- The addition of mustard and curry leaves is optional, but I find that it imparts a wonderful flavor to the chutney. If you decide not to add it, just skip the seasoning and add the rhubarb pieces directly to the oil and follow the rest of the instructions as is.
- If you do not have jaggery, you can substitute it with sugar/sweetener, based on your preference. For substitution with sweetener, please follow package instructions for the measurement conversion.
- *Nutritional information from MyFitnessPal